Post by Amelia Trigg, Assistant Manager at the HealthPlex Fitness
Last month, we focused on setting fitness goals, specifically how to make our individual goals specific, measurable, attainable and realistic. Now that these goals have been established, it is time to GET PHYSICAL! We live in a society that promotes a sedentary lifestyle and only a few lifestyle choices have a greater impact on our health than physical activity. Our bodies are meant to move – they actually crave exercise!
· Helps you live longer and prevents many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, type 2 diabetes and colon and breast cancers.
· Improves cardio-respiratory and muscular fitness.
· Raises your metabolism and helps you lose weight more easily.
· Reduces stress, anxiety, and depression to improve your overall mood.
· Helps maintain brain function among older adults.
· Increases bone density.
· Helps you age more gracefully by maintaining your looks and your agility.
· Improves sleep quality.
· Improves your overall quality of life.
It is important to ask yourself, what are the costs of inactivity? Is more play time with your kids or grandkids important to you? What about waking up with a positive mental attitude and self image? Or receiving a clean bill of health from your doctor after having a prior conversation about the risk of diabetes?
If you’re just starting to get physical, more doesn’t necessarily mean better. Doing too much too soon or performing intense exercises on a daily basis will have negative effects, such as muscle/tendon strains, loss of lean tissue and fitness-level plateaus. To get the most benefit from your workout, you should begin by warming up for 5 to 10 minutes to increase your blood flow and prepare your body for activity. Follow the warm up with several minutes of stretches to increase your flexibility and lower your risk for injury. Complete your selected exercise or activity for 20 to 30 minutes and conclude the workout with 5 to 10 minutes of cool down and stretching.
Remember, laziness fuels more laziness. Activity fuels more activity! With warmer weather at our doorsteps (FINALLY!), now is the perfect time to get outside and get moving to make your set goals a reality.
HealthPlex Fitness: The Functional Movement Experts.